We are gearing up for the 2014Talk Like Shakespeare Dayon April 23rd.
Last year's Talk Like Shakespeare Day included contests, events, and deals just for Talking Like Shakespeare, and, of course, the kick-off for the Sonnet Contest.
What is Talk Like Shakespeare Day?Nebraska Governor, Dave Heineman, will proclaim that April 23 (Shakespeare’s Birthday), will be celebrated across the state as “Talk Like Shakespeare Day”. To commemorate this day we invite all to honour the Bard and have fun with our language, by “Talking Like Shakespeare.”
Talk Like what...?Shakespeare! It's fun, makes everything sound fancier, and a great way to impress your friends or woo that special someone. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Instead of you, say thou or thee (and instead of y’all, say ye).
- Men are Master, ladies are Mistress, and your friends are all called Cousin.
- Don’t waste time saying "it," just use the letter "t" (’tis, t’will, I’ll do’t).
- When in doubt, add the letters "eth" to the end of verbs (he runneth, he trippeth, he falleth).
- To add weight to your opinions, try starting them with methinks, mayhaps, in sooth or wherefore.
- When wooing ladies: try comparing her to a summer’s day. If that fails, say "Get thee to a nunnery!"
- When wooing lads: try dressing up like a man. If that fails, throw him in the Tower, banish his friends and claim the throne.
- Instead of cursing, try calling your tormenters jackanapes or canker-blossoms or poisonous bunch-back’d toads.
Where do I come in?Give us your examples of Talking Like Shakespeare and win fun prizes to be presented at Shakespeare On The Green. Also check out our Facebook page on April 23rd for "Bard Bargains": discounts and deals at locations throughout Nebraska just for Talking Like Shakespeare!
- Talk Like Shakespeare Video Contest
Create a video of you participating in Talk Like Shakespeare Day at home, in the office, at school, etc., upload it to Youtube or your favorite video host, and post the link/video on our Facebook page to enter. In addition to your prize On The Green, the winning video will be submitted to Chicago Shakespeare's Talk Like Shakespeare contest as well. Here is the Nebraska Winner from 2011:
- Tweet Like Shakespeare
Send your Shakespeare inspired Tweets to @NEShakespeare (#talklikeshakes) on April 23rd to enter.
- Photo Contest: Bard About Town
Just download, print, cut-out, and attach to a pencil for easy use.(click the image for full size)
- Sonnet Kick-Off
Players of the Day:
We are currently enlisting businesses and organizations who want to participate in Talk Like Shakespeare Day 2014 with us by offering gifts or deals on April 23rd for those who Talk Like Shakespeare. Contact us at email@example.com for more information.
Check out all the people and places who celebrated Talk Like Shakespeare Day 2013:
- Morning Blend:
Check us out on KMTV channel 3 at 9:00 AM with Mary Nelson and Mike DiGiacomo.
- Bard Bargains:
• Omaha Visitor Center at 1001 Farnam. Those who asked in "Shakespearean" got a free "Omaha" wristband.
• Jones Bros. Cupcakes. The cupcake of the day was called "Now is the Winter of Our Discontent" the first 100 to name them got to pick one up one for free.
• The Bookworm gave a 10% discount on purchases if one asks to buy in "Shakespearean" and a 20% discount if wearing the bard face mask in addition!
• The Market Basket had miniature scones for those speaking a bit 'o Bard.
• The Village Grinder had a treat if you spoke Shakespearean.
• Dundee Dell offered a free drink and fish & chips at Happy Hour prices all day for Shakespearean speakers.
• eCremery offered a "free topping" if a bit of the Bard is used.
• Dundee Cork & Bottle offered a $1 off Boru Vodka drink.
• Jane's Health Market gave a "treat" if thoust spok'est like the Bard.
• The Mill at both locations will offer a dollar off any purchase!Visit our Facebook on Talk Like Shakespeare Day 2014 to get a list of vendors offering deals to those who speak the speech. Be sure to Like us while you're there to get more information, deals, and promotions throughout the year.
- Karaoke Like Shakespeare:
We want to know how you’re celebrating the Bard’s Birthday. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Submit your idea / event no matter how small. We would love to share it with our Shakespeare family, to help inspire and have fun.Your plans?
Nebraska Shakespeare has partnered with Chicago Shakespeare to produce “Talk Like Shakespeare” day.
For more information please visit the national "Talk Like" site at www.talklikeshakespeare.org