We are gearing up for the 2013Talk Like Shakespeare Day,on Tuesday, April 23rd.
This year's Talk Like Shakespeare Day will include more contests, events, deals just for Talking Like Shakespeare, and, of course, the kick-off for the Sonnet Contest.
What is Talk Like Shakespeare Day?Nebraska Governor, Dave Heineman, will proclaim on Wednesday, April 10th, that Tuesday, April 23 (Shakespeare’s Birthday), will be celebrated across the state as “Talk Like Shakespeare Day”. To commemorate this day we invite all to honour the Bard and have fun with our language, by “Talking Like Shakespeare.”
Talk Like what...?Shakespeare! It's fun, makes everything sound fancier, and a great way to impress your friends or woo that special someone. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Instead of you, say thou or thee (and instead of y’all, say ye).
- Men are Master, ladies are Mistress, and your friends are all called Cousin.
- Don’t waste time saying "it," just use the letter "t" (’tis, t’will, I’ll do’t).
- When in doubt, add the letters "eth" to the end of verbs (he runneth, he trippeth, he falleth).
- To add weight to your opinions, try starting them with methinks, mayhaps, in sooth or wherefore.
- When wooing ladies: try comparing her to a summer’s day. If that fails, say "Get thee to a nunnery!"
- When wooing lads: try dressing up like a man. If that fails, throw him in the Tower, banish his friends and claim the throne.
- Instead of cursing, try calling your tormenters jackanapes or canker-blossoms or poisonous bunch-back’d toads.
Where do I come in?Give us your examples of Talking Like Shakespeare and win fun prizes to be presented at Shakespeare On The Green. Also check out our Facebook page on April 23rd for "Bard Bargains": discounts and deals at locations throughout Nebraska just for Talking Like Shakespeare!
- Talk Like Shakespeare Video Contest
Create a video of you participating in Talk Like Shakespeare Day at home, in the office, at school, etc., upload it to Youtube or your favorite video host, and post the link/video on our Facebook page to enter. In addition to your prize On The Green, the winning video will be submitted to Chicago Shakespeare's Talk Like Shakespeare contest as well. Here is the Nebraska Winner from last year:
- Tweet Like Shakespeare
Send your Shakespeare inspired Tweets to @NEShakespeare (#talklikeshakes) on April 23rd to enter.
- Photo Contest: Bard About Town
Just download, print, cut-out, and attach to a pencil for easy use.(click the image for full size)
- Sonnet Kick-Off
Players of the Day:Check out all the people and places who are celebrating Talk Like Shakespeare Day. And that's just the beginning. Check back soon.
- Morning Blend:
Check us out on KMTV channel 3 at 9:00 AM with Mary Nelson and Mike DiGiacomo.
- Bard Bargains:
Visit our Facebook on Talk Like Shakespeare Day to get a list of vendors offering deals to those who speak the speech. Be sure to Like us while you're there to get more information, deals, and promotions throughout the year. Participating vendors so far include Jones Bros. Cupcakes, the Omaha Visitor Center, The Bookworm, Market Basket, The Village Grinder, Dundee Dell and Both locations of The Mill in Lincoln.
- Karaoke Like Shakespeare:
We want to know how you’re celebrating the Bard’s Birthday. E-mail email@example.com Submit your idea / event no matter how small. We would love to share it with our Shakespeare family, to help inspire and have fun.Your plans?
Nebraska Shakespeare has partnered with Chicago Shakespeare to produce “Talk Like Shakespeare” day.
For more information please visit the national "Talk Like" site at www.talklikeshakespeare.org