We are gearing up forTalk Like Shakespeare Dayon April 23rd.This year's Talk Like Shakespeare Day includes contests, events, and deals just for Talking Like Shakespeare, and, of course, the kick-off for the Sonnet Contest.
What is Talk Like Shakespeare Day?Nebraska Governor, Dave Heineman, has proclaimed April 23 (Shakespeare’s Birthday), will be celebrated across the state as “Talk Like Shakespeare Day”. To commemorate this day we invite all to honour the Bard and have fun with our language, by “Talking Like Shakespeare.”
Talk Like what...?Shakespeare! It's fun, makes everything sound fancier, and a great way to impress your friends or woo that special someone. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Instead of you, say thou or thee (and instead of y’all, say ye).
- Men are Master, ladies are Mistress, and your friends are all called Cousin.
- Don’t waste time saying "it," just use the letter "t" (’tis, t’will, I’ll do’t).
- When in doubt, add the letters "eth" to the end of verbs (he runneth, he trippeth, he falleth).
- To add weight to your opinions, try starting them with methinks, mayhaps, in sooth or wherefore.
- When wooing ladies: try comparing her to a summer’s day. If that fails, say "Get thee to a nunnery!"
- When wooing lads: try dressing up like a man. If that fails, throw him in the Tower, banish his friends and claim the throne.
- Instead of cursing, try calling your tormenters jackanapes or canker-blossoms or poisonous bunch-back’d toads.
Where do I come in?Check out the Talk Like Shakespeare resources below. Give us your examples of Talking Like Shakespeare and win fun prizes to be presented at Shakespeare On The Green. Also check out our Facebook page on April 23rd for "Bard Bargains": discounts and deals at locations throughout Nebraska just for Talking Like Shakespeare!
Talk Like Shakespeare at school:
Here are some simple ways to take part Talk Like Shakespeare Day at your school (students, talk to your teachers about including one or more of these activities on April 23rd).
- Announce it! Include Shakespeare in your daily announcements. Click HERE for a template, or create your own Shakespearean announcement.
- Every Bard needs a little help once in a while... Share and discuss the Talk Like Shakes Cheat-Sheet with your class.
- There Are How Many Ways to Say You? Discuss Shakespeare's use of pronouns. Give students this list of Pronouns used in Early Modern English and have them apply them to translate contemporary sentences.
Best of #TalkLikeShakes
- #TalkLikeShakes On YouTube and Vine
Create a video of you participating in Talk Like Shakespeare Day at home, in the office, at school, etc., upload it to Youtube, or Vine using #TalkLikeShakes (or post the YouTube video on our Facebook page to enter).
- Share your #TalkLikeShakes Status
Send your Shakespeare inspired Tweets to @NEShakespeare or include #TalkLikeShakes in your Shakespearean Facebook or Twitter Status on April 23rd to enter.
- #TalkLikeShakes Photo Contest: Bard About Town
Download the Bard mask and take photos as you're out and about. Upload your photos to Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram (#TalkLikeShakes) or send your photos to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Just download, print, cut-out, and attach to a pencil for easy use.(click the image for full size)
Check out all the deals you can get throughout the day just for Talking Like Shakespeare!
- Jones Bros. Cupcakes (located at Aksarben village) will announce the Shakespeare themed cupcake of the day on their Facebook page on Talk Like Shakespeare day. Name it and claim it! Free while they last.
- The Market Basket (in Countryside Village) will have a free goodie if you Talk Like Shakespeare.
- eCreamery (on 50th and Underwood) will have $2 scoops of The Bard's Butterfinger all day.
- Starbucks (on 72nd and Dodge) is offering a free drink all day for a Shakespearean phrase.
- Storz Trophy Room & Brewery is offering $2 pints of Triumph Lager if you speak the speech.
- Aksarben Cinema is offering free small popcorn for Talking Like Shakespeare.
- Dudley's Pizza & Tavern is offering half priced fries or sweet potato fries (with the purchase of a medium pizza) for Talking Like Shakespeare.
- Sgt. Peffer's Italian Cafe (all three locations) is offering a free drink with your order for Talking Like Shakespeare.
- Bellevue Vision Clinic (in Bellevue, Harlan Dr.) is giving away bottles of eyeglass cleaner.
While you're at one of these places, make sure you grab your ShakesPin!
Shakespeare Pub Quiz at House of Loom
Test your Shakespeare knowledge at the Talk Like Shakespeare Day Pub Quiz. Get your team together and get down to House of Loom. It all goes down at 8:30 PM.
Get the Talk Like Shakespeare T-Shirt
Head over to our ShakesGear Page to get your own "What Would Shakespeare Say?" interactive T-Shirt.
We want to know how you’re celebrating the Bard’s Birthday. Submit your idea / event no matter how small. Email email@example.com We would love to share it with our Shakespeare family, to help inspire and have fun.Your plans?